Some information out today about Mists of Happy Happy Land and about how they will be implementing Heroics. They are planning to reduce the difficulty of heroics from the bar set during Cataclysm. Apparently they will be more comparable to WoTLK difficulty levels.
I realise the challenge Blizzard has with finding a happy medium between your highly skilled, end game players and your average casual subscriber.
Here’s the details as outlined at mmo-champion;
Challenge Mode Dungeons
- Heroic mode dungeons will not be as difficult as they were in Cataclysm, instead they will be similar to the Wrath of the Lich King level difficulty.
- Challenge Mode dungeons will require you to complete a dungeon in a certain amount of time to win a medal and other rewards, similar to the Zul’Aman timed run for the bear mount.
- There are Bronze, Silver, Gold medals that will be earned based on the amount of time taken to complete the dungeon.
- You gear levels are normalized by reducing your overall item level to a set level so that everyone is on equal gear footing.
- There will be no way to get better gear and just overpower the challenge.
- Completing the Challenge on gold will incur a stacking debuff on future attempts: it’ll start with a 5% debuff, but if you manage to finish with a gold medal time on that run you’ll receive a 10% debuff on your next run, and so on.
- The challenges will reward unique gear for transmogrification and valor points.
- Other possible rewards include pets, mounts, titles, and achievements depending on your score.
- A new challenge dungeons UI will be added, allowing you to check your medals, ranking, show what rewards you can unlock, and more.
- There will be realm wide leaderboards that allow you to compete with your friends, guild, or everyone!
- Challenge Mode will work only on Pandaria dungeons at the beginning.
- Challenge Mode dungeons will use the Dungeon Finder tool.
- It is possible that the system could be expanded to raids in the future.
My concern (and this concern isn’t for me personally, I’d like to think I can handle MOST challenges Bliz throws at me) is that their will be a different type of pressure put on healers this time around.
I feel confident saying that pretty much every heroic formed will be pushing for Challenge Mode rewards, just because PHAT LOOOOTZ > all.
This will result is fast, chain pulls with little care for healers and their mana pool etc.
I’ll wait to see how it works out but healers be prepared with your “I need mana, pull and die” macros
This extends to DPS and Tanks in some ways too, if you’re not pulling x DPS then you’re preventing others from hitting Challenge Timers. If a tank cant hold threat against that annoying mage who keeps blowing his CD’s on the pull they are holding the group back too.